Trump Says Top ISIS Leader Killed in Joint US-Nigeria Strike

U.S. President Donald Trump said American and Nigerian forces killed a senior Islamic State leader during a joint counterterrorism mission in northeastern Nigeria, describing the operation as a major blow to the militant group’s global network.

In a statement posted Friday, Trump identified the militant as Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, also known as Abu Bakr al-Mainuki, and claimed he was the “second in command of ISIS globally.” Trump said the operation was carried out by U.S. forces working alongside the Nigerian military after intelligence sources tracked the militant’s movements in Africa.

According to reports, the raid took place near the Lake Chad Basin in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno State, a region that has long been affected by insurgent violence linked to Boko Haram and Islamic State affiliates.

Joint U.S.-Nigeria Mission

Reuters and Associated Press reported that the operation was conducted with support from U.S. Africa Command and Nigerian security forces, with no casualties reported among the allied troops involved. Several other militants were also said to have been killed during the mission.

Trump praised Nigeria for its cooperation, saying the militant leader “thought he could hide in Africa,” but was located through intelligence-sharing efforts between the two countries. Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu reportedly welcomed the outcome, calling it a significant success in the fight against terrorism in West Africa.

The operation comes months after Washington increased military coordination with Nigeria amid growing concerns over Islamic State and al Qaeda-linked groups operating across the Sahel and Lake Chad regions.

Questions Over ISIS Ranking

While Trump described al-Minuki as ISIS’s global second-in-command, some analysts questioned that characterization. Experts cited by the Associated Press said the militant was a senior figure within the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), but not necessarily the overall deputy leader of the global organization.

Al-Minuki, a Nigerian national born in Borno State, had been sanctioned by the U.S. government in 2023 for his role in ISWAP operations. Security analysts say he played a major role in coordinating logistics, propaganda, and weapons operations for the group across West Africa and the Sahel.

Regional analysts said his death could disrupt ISWAP’s leadership structure, although they cautioned that militant groups in the region have historically regrouped quickly after losing senior commanders.

Trump Says Top ISIS Leader Killed in Joint US-Nigeria StrikeRising Focus on West Africa Militancy

The strike highlights growing international concern over the spread of extremist groups in West Africa, where Islamic State-linked militants and Boko Haram factions continue to launch attacks despite years of military operations.

The Lake Chad Basin, spanning parts of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon, remains one of the most volatile regions affected by insurgencies tied to ISWAP and Boko Haram. Nigerian authorities have increasingly relied on intelligence-sharing and international partnerships to combat the groups.

spot_img

Related Articles

spot_img
Africa

Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens From South Africa Over Protests ...

Nollywood Actor Alexx Ekubo Passes Away at 40

South Africa Declares State of Disaster After Floods Kill 9 ...

Hundreds Displaced as Gang Violence Escalates in Haiti

Bomb Rigged to Rickshaw Explodes in Pakistan Bazaar, Killing 9 ...

Former Botswana President Festus Mogae Passes Away at 86